In the field of dentistry, the sterilization of dental instruments is the top priority. If you intend to maximise infection control and promote your dental instruments‘ overall cleanliness and disinfection, then your facility should observe the proper sterilization and disinfection process. This method is to ensure that you’ll benefit with your investment for a long time. If you’re looking for the best dental care instruments and accessories, you can purchase it here by clicking on the link provided.
The fact of the matter is, revenue is not the main purpose of the sterilization of dental instruments. Rather, it’s the safety of the patients. Especially during these times where the Covid-19 virus is still uncontrollable, every step of precautionary methods should be taken to maximise infection control efficacy. We will talk about the proper way to sterilise and disinfect the dental instruments based on the CDC’s standards or the Centers for Disease Control.
The guideline that we will follow is patterned from the CDC to optimise patients’ safety all over the country. These steps are beneficial, especially when your dental instruments are used for invasive procedures. These instruments are susceptible to harbouring microbes, bacteria, and viruses; that’s why sterilization and disinfection plays a crucial role.
We’ve outlined below some of the most efficient practices to use as guidelines when cleaning dental instruments and accessories. If you follow these steps, we guarantee that you will increase the efficiency of infection control dramatically. Not only does it keep your patients safe, but it also ensures the working life of your dental care instruments.
- The Personal Protective Equipment, or better known as the PPE. Protecting yourself is the initial step, and you can maximise this by using eye wears, impermeable smocks, face masks, and protective gloves. This attire not only protects you when cleaning and sterilising your dental care tools, but it also prevents the possible transmission of microbial organisms. Tip; make sure that you’re using puncture-proof utility gloves. A small opening is enough for viral or bacterial contamination. Choose the best brands from a reliable supplier whenever you buy.
- Pre-Clean Your Dental Care Instruments: The significance or pre-soaking your instruments in a disinfecting chemical reduces the build-up of bacteria. It breaks down the debris and gives them no time to harden. You can also use enzymatic spray gels to maximise the efficiency of the process.
- Clean Before Autoclave Steaming: Cleaning the instruments before putting them inside the autoclave increases the sterilization and disinfection process’s effectivity. The steam may not reach some of the surfaces of the dental care tools.
- Ultrasonic Cleansing: This process includes an ultrasonic solution and sound waves to clean the dental care instruments thoroughly. It also gets rid of corrosion and spotting as well as microbial build-up or accumulation.
- Automatic Dental Instrument Washers: These machines are perfect for saving time and effort without compromising the sterilization process’s efficiency.
- Limit Manual Scrubbing: This method might be risky because of the possibility that you may wound or cut yourself, especially with sharp dental care instruments. Avoid or limit manual scrubbing as much as possible. Use it as the last option.
- Instrument Drying: Before you put your instruments inside the autoclave, please make sure they are completely dry. The primary role of a steriliser is to clean by moisture. So, if you put you put your dental care instruments wet, the effectivity is reduced.
- Practice Proper Packaging: The final process of the sterilization and disinfection is to ensure that your instruments are protected from exposure one hundred per cent. You can package them with pouches and airtight wrappers. You can also put them inside an autoclave compatible wrap before putting them into the steaming process.
- Avoid Overcrowding the Autoclave: Putting in too many instruments at the same time may reduce the effects of the sterilization process. It also compromises the autoclaves ability to circulate the steam appropriately. Some instruments may be less exposed, especially if they lie too close to each other. Please make sure that there is plenty of room for the steam to circulate. That way, the effectivity of the process is optimised.
- Sterilization Cabinetry: use it to optimise the dental care sterilisation. The design should have an accessible sink, cabinets, drawers, and compartments. It enhances the flow of the sterilization process dramatically. It also provides an aesthetic appeal.
The Benefits of Sterilization of Dental Instruments
There are tons of benefits in the proper way of sterilization and disinfection of dental instruments. Not only that you protect your investment, but you also provide maximum safety to patients. Here’s a list of the benefits.
- Effectively kills bacteria, viruses, and germs
- Optimised cleaning
- Maximises infection control
- Breaks down mineral build-up
- Prevents corrosion
- Extends the dental instrument’s working life
Recommended Dental Sterilisation Equipment
Here’s a list of the recommended equipment to increase the efficiency of the sterilisation process.
- Dental autoclaves
- Automatic dental instruments washers
- Dental instrument dryers
- Sterilization cabinets
- Sterilization wastewater cooling
The sterilization of dental instruments is beneficial to all parties involved. It protects dentists and patients in a significant way that can prevent the spread of diseases and infection. It also maximises the safety of dental procedures like tooth extraction, root canal, or other invasive methods. This technique can prevent complications that are related to bad dental practice. If you want to make sure that everyone is safe in a dental appointment, please make sure that the instruments are sterilised and disinfected properly.
If you’re seeking for a clinic that you can assure that is safe, you can go to Emergency Dentist Brisbane today.